Master Certified Coach and former Director of Training at CoachWise in Poland
Dumi is an international executive and leadership coach and trainer of coaches based in Johannesburg, South Africa. He currently works with the Pan African Capacity Building Programme (PACBP). This is a skills development agency at the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) providing professional skills development across Africa.
Dumi designs and delivers leadership skills development and employee effectiveness workshops for DBSA clients and stakeholders. He has recently been appointed a Trustee on the Board of the International Coach Federation’s Foundation (ICF Foundation). The ICF is the leading professional body of coaches globally. The Foundation works with UN agencies such as UNICEF and promotes the use of coaching towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially SDG No.4 on Education.
Dumi is currently the Deputy Chairperson of the Regional Leadership Centre for Southern Africa (RLC-SA) at the University of South Africa (UNISA)’s School of Business Leadership (UNISA-SBL), for the Barak Obama-initiated Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) and the Mandela Washington Fellowship (MWF). Dumi coaches in some of the leading businesses within SA and across the African continent. He is part of Senior Faculty at one of the leading Coach-Training academies in Africa, The Coaching Centre (TCC).
He is on the faculty of University of Stellenbosch’s Business School’s MPhil in Management Coaching. Dumi is the Co-Founder and Chairperson of the Ubuntu Coaching Foundation (UCF). The UCF is a Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) working to promote access to coaching in communities that would otherwise not afford coaching services. Dumi is one of the founding Board Members of the Africa Board for Coaching, Consulting and Coaching Psychology (ABCCCP), a pioneering body of coaches from across the African continent.
He won the African Coach of the Year Award at the inaugural ABCCCP Coaching Awards in 2015. Dumi uses (and lives) Integral Coaching and Ubuntu values (I am because we are) in his coaching and facilitation engagements. He lectures in his spare time, and supervises Masters and Doctoral students in South Africa. During 2016, Dumi spent three months as a visiting Professor at Hitotsubashi University’s Institute for Innovation Research in Tokyo, Japan, where he published a research paper on African Skills and Capacity Building.
Dumi has co-authored and published a children’s book on Ubuntu principles and human co-existence (2017). He is passionate about human development and authentic connection. Dumi is dedicated to re-humanising the modern workplace, using Coaching, Gestalt and Ubuntu values, and building dynamic high-performing organisational cultures that help unleash individual and collective excellence especially among the youth during fast-changing technology-fuelled changes. Dumi is a regular guest on several radio stations in South Africa on people, careers and coaching. He features regularly on the local speaking and conference circuit, including at Leaderex.
Dr. Dumisani Magadlela is a well-known name in Ubuntu Coaching. Along with being an Ubuntu Coach, he’s an African Skills Development Specialist, Certified Executive Coach, ABCCCP Master Coach, a Mentor, Trainer of Coaches, graduate Academic Supervisor (Masters and PhDs), and International Leadership Development Facilitator.
Dumi specializes in facilitating training workshops, leading organizational development and culture change with his extensive experience in leading teams and team engagement sessions. This Tuesday, Dumi had discussed how Ubuntu Coaching is needed more than ever now.
Here are the key points Dumi shared with us on “The Art and Science of Human Connection in a Digital World”:
- Ubuntu Coaching is systematic coaching – we need to see each other as we are, as we present ourselves, as we believe in ourselves.
- Ubuntu Coaching a global phenomenon – a part of humanity, a part of who we are.
- Ubuntu is a reminder of the fact of seeing each other as “connected”.
- The coaches should think of their profession as a privilege of listening to someone’s state of mind and emotions, creating a safe space where the coachee can present themselves as they are – Ubuntu Coaching enables you to unleash the power of creating that ideal, safe space in workplaces, among teams and individuals.
- We all connect at different levels of energy that we are conscious about – any part of human activity will be felt and experienced by the entire human world.
- Recognizing how you show up in your private space will impact others in the workplace and society.
- The future of coaching is in collective and shared space – support each other to become the best version of ourselves and become aware that we are greater together.
- Transformational coaching is a tool to lead culturally diverse teams.
- Ubuntu Coaching values ethics. How as coaches, we can be and give expression to ethical and value-based leadership. It equips coaches to be functionally expressive.
- As coaches, we need to develop a wide angled empathy – you are able as a coach and can see others with a broader empathetic perception to the society we live in, the people we work with, our stakeholders, and our team.
- Human beings are able to learn, unlearn and relearn.
“We are together in this. We can walk together as human beings.”
Watch the entire video on our YouTube Channel.